Creative and innovative professional with several years of diverse and comprehensive work experience. Natural aptitude in areas of leadership, communication, and training. Intuitive balanced perspective, ability to integrate the strategic big picture, attention to logistical details and creative problem solving.
Freelance Web, Video & Photography
- Work with clients on various creative and technical projects.
- Design & develop web sites.
- Video production. (Interviews, old footage transfers & compilations, “How-to” videos, etc.)
- Event & wedding photography.
- Print design. (Flyers, book design & production, etc.)
Technology and Development Manager
- Lead and grow the technology team and web designers who build, implement and maintain a world-class ecommerce website.
- Manage day-to-day priorities, assignments and tracking of development and IT resources.
- Work independently and within management teams on business and strategic planning.
- Identify process improvements and solutions to problems.
- Champion change and effectively manage implementation of new ideas and technologies.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships and clear lines of communication throughout the entire organization.
- Develop, implement and maintain sound business practices and strategic objectives.
- Provide leadership, guidance, and expertise in all aspects of a project cycle.
- Manage day-to-day operational aspects of project resources, deadlines, schedules and scope.
- Supervise development team; including writing and presenting performance reviews and interviewing and hiring team members.
- Consistently seek and participate in development and leadership opportunities beyond the job requirements.
- Mentor those with less experience through formal and informal channels.
Technical Project Manager / Business Analyst
- Design, develop, test, and implement new programs and processes for internal operations.
- Track and prioritize programming requests from users.
- Coordinate and deliver training on new applications.
- Oversee implementation of new systems to support back-end operations.
- Support and solicit input and feedback at all levels of the organization.
- Outline and document project direction, structure, operational process and technical requirements.
- Develop functional and system design specifications for development team.
- Create and maintain documentation for applications, including the internal operations manual.
- Create reports and tools for different user bases, including management, operations, accounting, retail stores, warehouses.
- Maintain a key role in training staff and handling complex problems to resolution.
- Maintain thorough understanding of our accounting systems and utilize that information in planning new systems.
- Continually evaluate and redesign operational process and technical tools to maximize usability, efficiency and user satisfaction.
- Organize and coordinate staff meetings to maintain communication in regard to user requirements and issues.
Previous positions within Powells.com from July 1999 – July 2001 included Accounting Specialist and Customer Service Representative.
Senior Sales Supervisor
OMSI Science Store
- Managed retail staff.
- Trained & supervised sales associates in customer service, merchandising and cash register operations.
- Completed several product reference guides and other innovative refinements.
- Responsible for opening & closing the store ensuring completion and accuracy of daily paperwork and cash deposits.
- Acted as assistant buyer, specifically in the book department.
- Assembled quick reference guides to technical products (telescopes, binoculars, microscopes, etc.).
- Created an in depth training manual facilitating demands of rapid and thorough training and maintenance, including an annotated version for trainers and a quick reference for employees.
Human Resources & Operations Manager
Barnes & Noble
- Managed staff of approximately 40 people in high volume bookstore.
- Responsible for recruiting, interviewing, hiring and training staff.
- Trained & supervised head cashier and conducted daily audits on cash receipts to verify accuracy and minimize loss.
- Organized quarterly returns; including generating lists, pulling, sorting, packaging and returning books on tight deadlines.
- Generated purchase orders for books based on sales history, budget, media projections and customer requests.
- Also purchased merchandise in the gift & specialty departments from sales representatives.
- Created & maintained schedules based on a very rigid payroll percentage of sales projections.
- Trained & supervised receiving operations ensuring timeliness and accuracy of incoming & outgoing inventory.
- Trained & supervised special order department ensuring effective use of book distributors and publishers to meet our customer’s needs.
- Managed store office, including ordering supplies and maintaining organizational structure.
- Generated and evaluated reports including profit & loss statements, sales history & projections, payroll budget and operational costs.
- Developed highly innovative interviewing & hiring program ensuring the highest quality employees and reducing high turnover rate inherent to retail business.
- Created outlines and reference sheets for cash reconciliation tasks to facilitate in training and consistency, resulting in a vast improvement of financial accuracy and efficiency among the staff.
Cache Valley Horseman
- Created and administered yearly advertising budget and strategy.
- Administered payroll, accounts payable/receivable (calculating and taking advantage of payment discounts).
- Purchased merchandise at market and regular visits from sales representatives.
- Maintained stockroom & office structure.
- Received, priced and managed daily shipments of incoming inventory.
- Responsible for returning damaged and defective merchandise.
- Conducted regular cycle counts and managed yearly inventory operations.
- Maintained inventory database for entire store.
- Created separate monthly reports for vendors, departments and overall sales goals.
- Wrote and directed a television advertisement for the store.
- Implemented and carried out extensive recycling program.
Previous employment included secretarial and administrative positions in various business environments through temporary services including Human Resources Assistant at Ben & Jerry’s administrative offices in Vermont & Administrative Assistant with Coldwell Banker; Barbara Sue Seal Properties in Portland.
SOAR (Sponsors Organized to Assist Refugees)
- Worked as a volunteer with Cuban families to help them assimilate into their new surroundings. We would meet on a weekly basis to practice English, look for jobs, shop, cook, laugh, etc.
Literacy in Action
- Worked with adults to teach them basic reading skills.
The people I worked with were typically in the program as a court mandate.
Producer, Director, Videographer, Editor
- Founded and managed an independent video production group. Our group would meet on a regular basis to plan for our monthly projects. We made one short movie each month over a weekend.
Sundance Film Festival
- Worked at the Sundance film festival for several years in various positions, including box office and theater management.
Utah State University; Logan, UT
- Bachelor of Science in Political Science, 1994
- Minors in Photography and Philosophy
American University; Aix-en-Provence, France
- Coursework in Political Science and French language studies
Additional Coursework in:
- Project Management (Project Management Certificate at PSU 2008)
- Technical Writing
- Graphic Design
- Spanish Conversation
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Premiere Pro
- Final Cut Pro
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Google Analytics
- HTML & CSS
- WordPress (Implementation, design & development)